On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Tor Lillqvist <tlillqvist@novell.com> wrote:
On 2011-06-22 at 10:16, <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:
Sure enough: do 2 changes in a file, in 2 separate hunk. in one of
these change add trailing spaces... then commit only that hunk -> the
second hunk 'disappear'

The problem that I have noticed is when having changes to several files, but committing just some
of the files => the other files are reset back to unchanged state. But I guess the mechanism
behind this problem is the same as what you noticed?

Actually the bug was introduced by

bootstrap:c15f51baeba2485a35254be2b4dcfff7bc81a482

so it was only on master (not on the 3-4 branch)

and yes, it does result in the symptom you described.

Never-the-less I still think it is a 'Bad Thing(tm)' to have a
pre-commit hook altering on the fly what need to be committed... so I
suggest we stick with the 'warn but do no harm' approach (rather than
merely fixing/reverting the commit above).

Norbert