I dont think we have to cross compile. We should try and integrate the
android NDK, which allows native c/c++ compilation, into what we have
already in LO.

Cross-compilation is what one normally does when one uses the NDK. Do you know what
cross-compilation means?

The problem is that the LibreOffice (or OOo) build mechanism does not currently enable
cross-compilation.

So one needs to either 1) Build the NDK tool-chain to run natively on Android, and run builds on
Android itself either on real hardware, or, eek, on an emulator.  (The people who have built OOo/LO
for ARM on QEMU can tell how fun that is.)

Or 2) Adapt the LibreOffice build mechanism to work with cross-compilation. Considering that for
Android (or other table/mobile/touch platforms like iOS) one wants to revamp what gets built fairly
heavily anyway, this is likely the right way to go. I think some attempts at it has already been
done earlier, and the gbuild work hopefully should make it easier. Interestingly, enabling
cross-compilation will benefit LO builds for Windows hugely...

What is interesting in this discussion here and earlier on the "discuss" list is that nobody seems
to ponder how the user interface of (a subset of) LibreOffice running on a tablet/touch device
should look and work. Surely designing that is equally hard as overcoming technical build hurdles
or restructuring what gets built. Or do you really expect people to want to use the normal
LibreOffice GUI with hierarchical menus and other stuff from a desktop style GUI on a touch device?

--tml