Hi Allen,

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 11:30 -0400, Allen Pulsifer wrote:
I would +100 this suggestion.

        Brilliant - the way to +100 is to write a patch :-) and/or test the
feature so we can be sure it will work.

I would propose that all Beta and Dev releases

        So - we have one more Beta left - which just got tagged, and is prolly
building now - so, discovering this switch now is perhaps not so
useful :-) Having said that it would be good for tinderbox builds I
guess. If it is documented - it would be good to have some pointers to
the documentation.

AFAIK (at least for the predecessor project OpenOffice.org), there is
(was?) a well-documented switch that changed the product name and

        Fine - so, dig out the documentation, test that it still works - and
then we can turn it on. I would focus your testing on Windows - since
that is the nightmare platform to build for / on / with / debug / find
developers for / etc. Though it would be nice if it worked on Linux /
Mac too of course.

These parameters need to be set and tested by the person who creates
the build.  I’m not sure if a patch is needed, but even if it is,
there would need to be a commitment to use

        Using it is fine: if it works. First it needs digging out, and then it
needs testing - by someone - who can build, and perhaps debug on
Windows. Every little change is easy, until the windows building part
hits - at which point you suddenly realise that life is not so fun ;-)
and that all that "easy" stuff becomes like wading through treacle.

        So - certainly, it'll be used - it is a good idea - no-one is against
it in principle. What I am against is being told how to spend the next
day or several, and/or delaying our build process onto a detour into the
long grass, for a feature that will not be useful post the last Beta
(being worked on now).

        Having said that - you're a bright chap :-) it'd be great to have you
looking into this and/or working on it; all patches gratefully received.

        ATB,

                Michael.