On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+libreoffice@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Norbert, *,

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 4:28 AM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
'binfitler' will quickly get in the way... we will need to either
gbuildify it, or accept the penalty of having it build last (after
everything else)

Hmm - wouldn't it be possible to just "gbuildify" it by having the
gbuild run build.pl?

yes but The problem is dependencies. from build.pl point of vew
tail_build is one big module.
for instance binfitler depend on svx. if we make progress to the point
where we can put svx in tail_build, then you have
to declare tail_build as a pre-req dep of binfilter, which essentially
will push its build to the end of the schedule...

binfilter can nicely be built in parallel to other stuff, can't it?
Being forced to build it last will be quite a penalty.

No it wont really be a penalty (we need to measure of course).
The reason not is: nothing depend on binfilter and binfilter can keep
busy even a big machine all by itself.
in the mean time tail_build will make better use of the resource (as
in less low-time where stuff are not running because of dependencies
choke point)
so the total elapsed time should not be significantly impacted...

the former is quite a lot of work, the later is easy: just add
tail_build as its dependency. Actually since binfilter is pretty big
and has a lot of sub-modules

But what about the other gbuild stuff? While binfilter itself might be
able to get 4 CPUs busy, the other modules probably then have to sit
and wait for others.
I'm not following? what other module ? the other modules are built.
and faster because they did not have
to share the ressource with binfilter while they were building...

But of course I have no numbers, so it's just gut feeling.

Same here... :-)
but my 'daily build' log should give me some number soon...
in any case even if it is a bit slower, since gbuildifying binfilter
is such a big work for very little reward (binfilter is on it's way
out)
the only alternative is to push it at then end.

ciao
Christian