Hello,

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 09:54 +1000, Troy Rollo wrote:
1. The rule has operated for a long time now without, as far as I can see, any
serious complaints about it.

Yeah, but it would great to fix it once for good and avoid having tiny
patches again and again on the same thing.

2. Using the same rule as Microsoft Word will create fewer problems for
document interchange with Microsoft Word.

We don't have to copy Word's mistakes ;)

I guess it depends on how important it is to keep document consistency high in
interchange with Word.  If that is not important I can prepare a more complete
set of rules, submit the rules for approval, and then implement a new patch.
My initial thought was that the correct (clean slate) rule would be:

1. Strip any leading white space (but not trailing - although rule 2 might get
that);
2. If there is formatting content after the number, and not before the number,
strip it if either:
(a) This is the last component in the reference; or
(b) The next component has formatting content before the number.

However I would note that one of the default outline numbering formats  (the
"1." "(a)" format) in LibreOffice includes white space in front of the number
at the first list level. Thus this rule would strip the white space, where on
my testing MS Word would not. This would create a common inconsistency when
going from LibreOffice to MS word.

You can first implement this rule and we'll see what people think about
that. That rule sounds reasonable to me.

Regards,

--
Cédric Bosdonnat
LibreOffice hacker