Hi Francois,

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 17:56 +0100, Francois Tigeot wrote:
I'm getting annoyed by the /proc test in ooinstall

        Heh :-)

If I just remove the test, the installation goes fine...

        Good.

What is this javaldx thing ? Is there a reason this test cannot be removed
for all platforms ?

        Well; javaldx sets up the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for java to 'actually
work' (TM) - and it has to be run before we launch anything that is
going to use any java stuff (at least this is how it used to be). It
also used to be the case that without /proc mounted it would crash and
burn[1].

        I was so bitten by that once, that I added the check ;-)

        The good news is that in 3.4 we will have a totally different component
registration mechanism, so - we can kill that check on master
pre-emptively (perhaps).

        How about that ? :-)

                Michael.

[1] - but, you understand only in a nasty twisty way, deep in the guts
of make_installer.pl's component registration, and in a -very- hard to
understand and debug way that couldn't easily be replicated on any
'real' machine (since they have /proc mounted) ;-)