Hi Christian,

On 2011-02-17 at 00:25 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

sorry for not replying earlier

No problem at all! :-)

As you already have experience with what the tinder mails should
contain, do you think you could enhance bin/tinbuild in the bootstrap
repo to actually send the mails to the tinderbox too, when an additional
option is provided?

depends on what you can add to send mail.. And of course for tinderbox
log information to be useful, the build-environment itself (and the
set of configure options) should not change between each build.

So I think I got it +- right in the end; or at least I've pushed
that :-)  It now sends the tinderbox mails, as well as the nagging mails
when a broken commit appears.

 That way it would be completely trivial to setup a
tinderbox anywhere with few steps:

So use whatever that allows you to add a custom header (the X-Tinder
one) and you're set. I use
http://www.caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/ - that one is
a perl-only (no
external deps) tool that supports tls and is easy to use.

I see; I looked at that too after Thorsten's recommendation, but thought
it was unable to add the X-Tinder header - my bad, but at least I
learned Net::SMTP and MIME::Lite Perl modules :-)

I send 3 mails: when the build starts, after configure is done, and
after the build is finished. first one is witout attachment (X-Tinder:
cookie), second and third use attachment (X-Tinder: gzookie)

I can do the same; the ones when the build starts, and when the
configure is done should have the 'building' status, is that correct?

For mails with attachment, the mail processing expects the attachment
to be the second part of a multipart/mime message, thus even when
sending it with attachment, it has a body-message (that is ignored
when parsing the log)

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/bootstrap tinderbox
cd tinderbox
./autogen.sh [params]
make
# when make succeeds
bin/tinbuild [params]

;-)

Oh, when make succeeds then it is too late, isn't it, I mean tinderbox
is interested in both success as well as failure.

Sorry, did not explain it completely.  The 'make succeeds' step is there
for sanity check only, the bin/tinbuild then loops forever, but it is
always good to try it manually for the 1st pass.  After that,
bin/tinbuild of course has to (and does) survive even incomplete builds.

The recent message contain the attachment, and have the correct
header, but it contains useless annotation variable "builddate:
deprecated" - you're not supposed to use it, the deprecated means it
is deprecated, not that it should be used with the value "deprecated"
:-)
starttime and timenow are the ones to use.

Fixed :-)  It turned out to be a trivial (and hopefully last) bug that I
did not spot before going home.

So include the annotations within the gzipped log, and everything is fine.

Hopefully should be now.  If it proves to be so, I'll announce the usage
in a separate mail; should be pretty easy to setup for anyone now.

Oh - and one question: The 'tinderbox: tree: XYZ' - are the trees
created on the fly?  Ie. is the creation of the libreoffice-3-3
tinderbox tree as easy as as using libreoffice-3-3 instead of XYZ, or is
there something necessary on the server side too?

Thank you a lot,
Kendy