At 12:18pm -0500 Tue, 01 Feb 2011, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
Seriously why not supporting bsdtar? It has a great effort is made to
make it gnu compatible in fact compatible with the largest possible
set of archive formats.
All the testing I have done with bsd tar shows it performs at least as
well as gnu tar.

As an outside observer, I find I agree with Baptiste. Though I don't use BSD Tar, and was slightly annoyed by the patch (only as implemented, not in spirit), I think it's actually good to, wherever possible and easy, not depend on one toolset exclusively.

There is something to be said for GNU providing a robust toolchain that is likely never to break, but for the simple 1-line change, and that it removes a (minor) hurdle to developers coming from the *BSD platforms, I think it's a win. No sense in annoying our BSD brethren as they often add high value to a development team.

Respectfully,

Kevin