Hi Jan,

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 22:51 +0100, Jan Darmochwal wrote:
At the moment I have no idea how the installer actually works.

        Lol :-) the perl is mangled enough that I suspect you can be productive
like that just fine to start with.

        The basic idea is that make_installer is like 'make install' in a
normal package; but instead of working from a Makefile, it gets its data
from an 'inf' or 'ins' file - which is a flat script-like thing that is
built and delivered from 'scp2'.

        The pedigree of this, is that we used to have a StarBasic installer
that was similiar and ... [well anyway ;-]. So this was some sort of
incremental step and improvement, away from that.

 I'm just profiling it and replacing slow stuff by slightly
less slow stuff. Maybe some time in the future, I might try to
do some changes that require a deeper understanding of how it
works.

        Great.

    Can you confirm your work is under LGPLv3+/MPL please too ?
Yes, of course. The patch is released under LGPLv3+.

        Heh - we ask for a dual LGPLv3+ -and- MPL license for changes; so
LGPLv3+/MPL is the question :-)

        Thanks again ! (and any more joy with the profiler ?),

        Incidentally, I suspect that the profiler may not show you
inefficiencies from forked children; you may see some more 'fun' by
running under 'strace -f -e execve perl .../make_installer.pl' or
somesuch - we had some zip related cleanups avoiding spawning lots of
processes (helping Windows where that is deadly slow) in the past - but
no doubt more silliness can be seen that way.

        ATB,

                Michael.