Hi Peter,

On 2011-01-03 at 21:06 +0100, Peter Jentsch wrote:

I'm attaching a patch I somehow managed to patiently pull out of git :-)

As I'm new to C++, libxslt, git and a few other things involved in
creating the patch I feel it must be full of warts and cause random
crashes, but it seems to work and might be useful anyway.

Thanks a lot - looks great on the first sight :-)  Let me look a bit
better (unless somebody else volunteers to do a deeper review?) now.

Before pushing it to the master branch, I'd like to ask you for 2
things:

License: Please, do you agree to license under the MPL / LGPL / GPL
combo, as recommended in
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/build/tree/COPYING.NEWFILES

Purpose documentation: Can you please add a brief description of the new
classes in the header?  Just something like:

/**
The Reader class has to be a separate thread because of this and that.
*/
class Reader: public osl::Thread
{
}

[So - don't describe the obvious facts, just higher level / design
decisions.]

Basically, the patch provides an alternative service implementation
to be used by XSLTFilter.cxx. Use of the libxslt implementation can be
triggered by adding "libxslt" as second parameter to the "UserData"
configuration of an xslt filter. This second parameter is currently
unused for xslt filters.

To completely remove the java dependency for xslt filters, the
xsltvalidation service would also need to be replaced by an
implementation based on libxslt.

Also, the Office 2003 XML export filters use a saxon extension
implemented in Java, which needs to be replaced by a libxslt extension
if Office 2003 XML export should be supported without Java, too.

The flat xml export could be implemented as a pure C++ xml Filter
indendendently of the xslt filter, as proposed in the SDK examples, I
suppose, and I'd like to do that next.

In fact, this perfectly fits as the documentation - so I think it would
be enough to paste most of this mail to the appropriate places.

I personally like the idea to make the implementation to use
configurable, instead of completely removing the Java based xslt filter
implementation.

The problem then is that we would have 2 things to maintain; so I think
it is better to go with your implementation, and get rid of the Java
implementation for good.  [But of course, short term we can live with
both, no problem with that.]

Thank you a lot,
Kendy