On 12/18/2010 03:48 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:
Right-click the .odt and select 'Open With' (WinXPPro); the 'Programs'
window shows only option for LibO, not OOo. It does show options for
Word if MS Word is installed and has the odf converter installed. I've
repeated this on my WinXPro VM by:

1. Uninstalling all instances of OOo and LibO.
2. Reinstall OOo (3.2.1 OOO320m18) and verify that the .odt's are
associated with OOo.
3. Reinstall LibORC1 (OOO330m18). The .odt's are now associated *only*
with LibO *and* cannot be reassociated with OOo from right-clicking and
'Open With' from Windows Explorer.

I was expecting to find some problem with the merge of the
SupportedTypes in the registry during the installation, but everything
worked fine in my Windows XP SP2. I've followed your instructions and
I now have two entries in the "Open With" context menu, one for
OpenOffice.org and the other one for LibreOffice.

Anyone else is able to reproduce this?

My guess is that the problem is with the common swriter.exe (et al)
executable name. If I get time over the weekend I'll modify the names in
the Windows registry to see if I can cause the situation to change.

As I mentioned before, in the registry there's the full path of the
executable, so it doesn't matter if they have the same name provided
that the path is different.

Here you have info on how this works:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872121(v=VS.85).aspx

Nope. That's not how it works. Sorry for the delay in responding, but
your system does not work the same as mine (WinXPPro SP3). I went back
and repeated my initial. Here are screenshots of those:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5827/screenshotwithoooonly.png
Only OOo 3.2.1 installed.

Now I install LibO - and in this case I installed LibORC2 just to be
sure that the test is current. And this is the result:
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4994/screenshotwithliborc2.png
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9178/screenshotwithliborc22.png
Notice that all references to OOo are now missing.

So now I do the open with & browse to OOo swriter.exe and use that -
guess what happens... the .doc file opens in LibO.

As a test I rename the swriter.exe in C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org
3\program
to ooowriter.exe
and guess what happens when I use the choose program on the next go
around? Yep, the .doc now opens with OOo. And guess what now shows up in
the 'open with' dialog window... OOo:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4567/screenshotoootoooowrite.png

I'm happy to swap stories/tests, but IMO the problem still exists,