At 4:20am -0500 Wed, 08 Dec 2010, Michael Meeks wrote:
On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 10:04 +0100, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
In countries where power supplies are intermittent, or irregular, it
matters a great deal. If your phone or electricity lines crap out part
way through the download, and you were on a pay-per-minute connection,
what would you do ? Risk downloading it, or go and obtain a pirated copy
of some other more freely available software suite ?

        Would you download a copy of that proprietary suite instead ? or would
you get it on CD ? Ultimately, I'd love to see some Ubuntu style ship-it
service to provide CDs to serve the 3rd world cheaply. As/when we have a
foundation and funding in place that seems like an obvious use of funds.

Would this be a suitable reason to offer the download as a torrent? Torrents recover well from disconnections, mis-passed bites, and other random download errors. It still doesn't solve the bloat issue, but at least responds to both more distributed use of bandwidth and resiliency for long-running downloads.

We'd have to advertise it, of course, since the use of torrents is not, I think, 'mainstream' (per se). In the long run, I'd prefer to have a torrent offering anyway.

Kevin