At 7:59am -0500 Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Michael Meeks wrote:
On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 10:57 -0500, Kevin Hunter wrote:
What's the story with the ulimit set in 'ooenv' right before
running a freshly built LO:

As Caolan says - without this, your app will simply not dump core. Of
course, mostly people can run under gdb just fine, and core files can be
a PITA to deal with.

Heh, well, actually from "long ago" I said, "These are dumb! I'll turn this on when I need it!" and put in "ulimit -c 0" in my .bash_profile. Of course, that was before I started religiously commenting (you should see my .bash* files, e.g.), so I forgot about it.

In the meantime, I think I've sussed out that warning message is unique to me.

So - it is not a huge issue if it fails, we could simply pipe 2>
/dev/null in the script if you want :-)

Yeah, I picked that up after the responses, and reading a bit more about it. I actually knew peripherally what it did, but I was not aware that I could set up allowances on a per-user basis. Thus, I asked the (in retrospect) dumb question if others were running LO as root.

I don't think getting rid of that output is a good idea (in this case). For something like '$ find /', it might be more appropriate, where it's clear there will be some permission denied listings, etc.

As I said above, I think it's only me, so problem solved.

Thanks though!

Kevin