Hi Peter,

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 18:24 +1000, Peter Dolding wrote:
Issue is one of the special features of that mode.

        :-)

http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/automake/maintainer_002dmode.html
  from here the key point is.

AM_MAINTAINER_MODE also allows you to disable some custom build rules conditionally.

        Riight - I don't think we do that in fact. I believe we require
everyone to have (or build) tons of exotic tool instead :-)

There is no particular reason to rush its
removal but due to being mostly a deprecated thing it should be marked
for careful and planned removal.

        If someone wants to kill it; lets do it !

        All I require is a patch, the assurance that someone tested it
somewhere; (and we should fix autogen.sh not to pass the maintainer flag
too).

        HTH,

                Michael.