Hi Joseph,

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 03:56 -0700, Joseph Powers wrote:
Ok, I went ahead and did some high-contrast cleanup work on libs-core.
I was able to delete massive amounts of code and configuration items.
The main issue I'm having is the masking:

        Just got back, and started reading your patches; this is some really
nice work :-) I love deleting huge gobs of mostly pointless code -
that's great fun.

ImageList RID_DEFAULTIMAGELIST_SC
{
    Prefix = "sc";
    MaskColor = STD_MASKCOLOR ;
    DEFAULT_IDLIST
};

..

Please note that the MaskColor for high-contrast icons can be
different then the one for standard icons. These may need adjusting.

        It is entirely likely that the MaskColor will only be used if the icons
are not alpha-transparent bitmaps :-) it might be worth looking at what
the DEFAULT_IDLIST is to see if any are.

        We may find that the "MaskColor" code is another total anachronism that
we can throw out, along with the other dinosaurs :-) no doubt there is
some place that it is used, but ...

        If we could verify that it is only used for non-alpha Bitmaps - then
(perhaps) we could simply check all of default_images for non-alpha
bitmaps, and isolate any remaining places more easily.

The above gets compiled into a .res file; if anyone knows how & where
it gets loaded back at runtime, could you share the secret please.

        Well - the res files are referred to by ID, so if you have:

ImageList RID_DEFAULTIMAGELIST_SC

        I -think- that there needs to be an RID_DEFAULTIMAGELIST_SC reference
in the code somewhere; unless this is some special case for ensuring
that res/commandimagelist/* ends up inside the .zip file [ AFAIR we
subset only mentioned icons - which perhaps we could stop doing too ]

And some times they get fancy and load/cache both images:

        Shame; wastes time, and memory.

2. Determine how to handle the odd cases:
a. We have code that detects changing from HC to Normal and back... Do
we need this? Changing icon themes just work and HC is just at theme;
thus, I don't see the need for this code.

        If icon theme change works correctly (and we should be updating on that
properly of course), then we don't need it. I suppose in the cases where
changing the contrast setting works it might be worth simply re-using
that code for theme change (if there is no equivalent code for that).

b. We change colors on some controls based on HC mode. Wouldn't it be
better to create a 2nd color scheme for HC. (calling all artist...
please switch the icons to HC, and then change the colors until it
looks good(actually bad-it needs to be HC which isn't pretty). We'll
then need to figure out how to package the colors for shipping.

        Right ! we should have a single set of style colors; and simply use the
right colors from the color theme for high-contrast mode rendering. That
is important because it also enables the mirror impairment that requires
"low contrast".

I haven't played with the icons/images yet. That'll take work trying
to figure out the build system (any volunteers?) So far, I've removed
references for the following items:

        Oh - great list; I'll try to put some time this week into prodding the
icon theme building code so we can start actually removing these from
the default_images directly, and move them into a separate high-contrast
theme one by one as we remove the need for them.

So far I haven't notices any additional break-age from these changes.
The HC them has a few icons that disappear under Mac OS and changing
the OS to HC just makes things worse; however, these are broken on the
default build also... so no damage done.

        :-)

        Great work,

        Thanks,

                Michael.