On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Jordan Ayers <jordan.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
   I was looking at the perl installer, and attached are patches to
change most of the chmod system calls into calls to the built-in
command.  This change alone doesn't seem to make a big difference (it
cut about 5 seconds off of a 4 1/2 minute run of ooinstall for me).

5 seconds saved is 5 seconds earned :-)
If you can shave 2% per patch... we will soon get somewhere :-)

   The second patch includes the replacement of a couple of two-step
chmod calls with a single built-in call; the original code indicated
that it was a work-around for removing the sticky bit on Macs.  I
don't have a Mac to test that the new call handles sticky bits in the
same way, but expect that it will from checking the current perlport
doc.

I built it on MacOS: no apparent breakages.

Pushed.

Thanks,

Norbert

   LGPLv3+/MPL.