Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:05 AM, Caolán McNamara <caolanm@redhat.com> wrote:
Can anyone convince me that its not cargo-cult programming and that the
mutexes achieve something worth-while ;-) ?

Nope. Looking at other places, there's really no consistent
serialization whatsoever.

mutex usage in the product is appalling. The SolarMutex is used,
for instance in more than 8000 sites in the code.
getGlobalMutex() is used 850+ times...  The number in itself is
not the issue, but the fact that Mutex are by default Recursice,
lead - in my opinion- to indiscriminate and casual use of Mutex,
in a -just-in-case- kind of way.

Yep. Also, calling out with a locked mutex is a true no-no (with the
notable exception of the solar mutex). Which is even more indication
that all those aSolarGuards were supposed to be solar mutex locks,
which in turn are indeed superfluous for XCanvas calls.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten