Hi Camille,

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 16:54 +0200, camille.moulin@free.fr wrote:
I completely agree with you here. That's why I was happy but when Caolán
McNamara implemented yesterday a change I had been wainting for (no auto
conversion of numbers in Writer's tables by default) but also worried
that it hadn't been validated at UX level.

        Well - Caolan's patch requires no validation in my view; there is no
need for a consensus :-)

I think it would be good for everyone if we can reach a broad consensus
on this, including from OOo's UX team. I have started formalizing my
arguments in favour of this change there :

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:Camillem/aboutFramework#Read_Only_files_should_be_open_in_R.2FW_mode

        This is more useful; lets whack it in the new LibreOffice wiki when it
comes on-line though; generating consensus with Oracle on the topic is
(most likely) an expensive, draining and un-necessary experience :-)

For example, can anybody provide any arguments for keeping the current
behavior?

That's also what I'd like to know. I'll post on OOoUX list about that tonight.

        So - I suspect that the writer read-only mode is at least a little
complex. AFAIR there are forms with fields in that can be filled on (ie.
edited) in 'read-only' mode - yet the document itself cannot be edited:
but (quite possibly) this is some other read-only / document locked type
state that we could express differently.

        HTH,

                Michael.