They were mostly machine translated,

Hmm, I don't think that is a good approach, there is too great risk that the comment is even harder
to understand if it is badly machine translated. (Some of us do know some German, some even speak
it natively, so the German comments aren't totally useless.)

Also, while translating German comments, one can drop the parts that just give an author initials
and timestamp. Also references to bug numbers that are in some old Sun (or StarDivision) internal
system and not publicly visible can be dropped. Sorry, yes, that means more work to check if a bug
number refers to a public OO.o issue or not.

So for example this change is not really useful

-        // Bug 26675:  DataChanged vorm loeschen verschicken, dann bekommt
-        //                     man noch mit, welche Objecte sich im Bereich befinden.
-        //                     Danach koennen sie vor/hinter der Position befinden.
+        // Bug 26675:  DataChanged front Delete ship, you get even with,
+        //                      what objects are in the area.
+        //                      Then before they can/are behind the position.

At least I don't really understand the original German here, but then not the English either;)

--tml