Hi Italo,

What do you mean when saying Base "is missing the scripting feature"? Surely you can use macros in Base, as well as in other components of LibreOffice. These macros can be written in Baisc, which I have often used, or in some other languages, which I haven't tried myself. And without these surely a database application generally would be very "raw", confined to the basic actions. The work that Base or the the database does is essential for the whole business, and without it nothing would work, but the checks and actions done by the additional programming (using macros or even some sophisticated functions of the database system) are the points that end users can value. They decide about a system being accepted. Now much can be done using Basic macros, which is quite easy. Using them really is adding the salt to the dish. There may be some cases where Basic is too slow, because it is interpreting the code. Then you can use other scripting languages, which I haven't done, but other people speak of it. But there may be a big problem for people used to Access: as far as I understand, macros used in Access cannot be simply transferred to LibreOffice, because the Basic dialects are not completely compatible. I have never had to do with these problems, so I cannot say more, but I fear that this may be the cause for some people to reject trying LibreOffice. Which is a shame because looking at a problem from a new angle is in many cases very helpful. As regards Excel instead of Access or Calc instead of Base: that seems to be a general problem, the practically endless table of Calc/Excel provides the basic features most needed at first sight , without any effort for definition of structures; the difficulties creep in later, and the users try for a very long time to mend the problems, instead of rethinking the situation. This is a general problem, not concerned only with LibreOffice. I can only offer my opinion that in many cases the use of Excel (or Calc) is second best and due to a neglect of deeper investigation, which would have yielded a database solution, but how can we change that?

Greetings

Gerhard