Re: [libreoffice-design] Agenda for the design/UX meeting 2019-Feb-06 (Wed)

On February 11, 2019 2:08:58 AM GMT+08:00, Italo Vignoli <italo@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
>I cannot disagree more. In Italy, most enterprises and every public
>administration are using Microsoft Access, and this represents a
>problem
>when they have to migrate to LibreOffice (as Base is not seen as a good
>replacement for Microsoft Access, because is missing the scripting
>feature).
>
>On 10/02/2019 10:56, Pedro Rosmaninho wrote:
>> Just to mention that Microsoft Access (the equivalent to Base) is
>barely
>> used in the professional world.
>> Usually companies use Excel and connect it to MySQL or apps like
>PowerBI
>> depending on the purpose.
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:40 AM Heiko Tietze <tietze.heiko@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>>> While the idea of the Notebookbar is exactly this, to provide
>completely
>>> different UIs, I doubt we can make Base "a variant of Calc“. But you
>are
>>> very welcome to draft the idea or implement yourself (should be
>possible
>>> for everyone who uses mailing lists).

>>> equal to the CALC one

>probably
>>> would increase a lot the use of BASE in substitution of MS Excel for
>>> managing databases, and the use of other components of LibreOffice.

>>> only collaborate with suggestions, I did not want this one that I
>think is
>>> great, and probably very easy to implement, to pass by.

>use
>>> because it had a interface near to what a spreadsheet is.
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>--
>Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
>email italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org
>mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli
>hangout/jabber italo.vignoli@gmail.com
>The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin, DE
>Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
>Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint
>GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0
>DB75 1534 3FD0 EA5F 56B5 FDA6 DE82 934C AAB8 D5C0
>
>--

Currently in enterprise migration there are still two big gaps : Macros and Databases. IIRC a few years before when we talked about this, the solutions were that we'd help the customers to use *real* rational databases like MySQL/Mariadb, …etc., with some simple web interfaces (MySQL admin?) to replace Access. After all, Access or Base is just(?) front-end agents of these real databases.

--
Franklin Weng, Member, Board of Director & Certification Commitee

Legal details: https://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint