Hi Maarten,

Maarten Brouwers (murb) wrote on 14-10-18 11:57:

I wonder how important having existing accounts is for an extension
site. I’d like to be convinced otherwise, but I think that a usable
submission & maintenance process will convince people to contribute
their extensions. A more prominent call for volunteers could help
registering the few people needed for occasional quality assurance
(which with all security threats these days is not something you want
to do with simply up and down votes [1]).

I thought of this subject too, but have the idea that at the moment
there is no quality/safety check either?
Anyway, good that you mention, because having something in place (by
moderation maybe) looks wise.

to do with simply up and down votes [1]). Registering for one more
account is the least part of creating a good extension / template
(although it would be a nice to have if you wouldn’t have to). Big
exception where every hassle of creating accounts might hold back
user contributions back is feedback from users (star-ratings /
comments / up/down-votes). Maybe the ask libreoffice org platform
could help there (like discourse can be used to allow for discussion
on pages), but I strongly believe that getting the UX right for a
good extension website is the hard part, which also requires quite
some technical skill if you build something like that [2] from

My impression is not that people in this discussion think that it will
be easy per see.
Since there are some advantages on Askbot, and the fact that boosting
the existing extensions site to a certain level somehow didn't work, we
can take this as an opportunity to look at the situation from scratch:
what can we do in a simple way to help people make templates &
extensions available easily.

scratch (building a template site from a Q/A platform is basically
building from scratch, support for templates is just scratching the
surface of what is needed [again, 2]).

Depends. If you want to do versioning of extensions, it will definitely
be hard. If you skip that, leave it to the author on how to make that
clear (or not), it may be much easier. Tags to help finding stuff of
course is a must. But I think I start to repeat what already has been
expressed before.

Best,
Cor

--