I like this smaller toolbar listed as

"New variant of Notebookbar - Tabbed Compact for Writer (experimental feature) tdf#107237 (Andreas Kainz)"

I found that any more toolbars than is shown in my LO install, it does not give me enough "text space" to use, unless I change the "default" page view size - i.e. zoom out to see more of the page in the editing "window".

http://libreoffice-na.us/menubar.jpg

In my opinion, I do not like the first two Notebookbar variants, for that same reason.  Actually these remind me of the toolbars in Windows 10 file explorer and other Windows packages. I do not like Win10, but forced to have in installed for some specialty software that has no working replacement in Linux [so far]. Since these new Notebookbars remind me of the ones in Windows, I see only one reason for them - have toolbars/notebookbar similar to Window's [and MS Office] so it would be an easier migration to LibreOffice. Otherwise it takes up too much of the usable screen space.