First of all, I also disliked the 12 mascots so I understand your feelings, but

Secondly, I don't that a software that did satisfy your needs up till last Wednesday, well uninstalling it is the appropriate response if such a thing happens. This is just a mascot competition, there were no kittens or humans killed. I would understand if you unsubscribed from the services of proprietary software not wanting to give your money to them any more. But in the LibreOffice community most of the guys work for free in their spare time and they don't ask any money from you.

Thirdly, if a new vote will ever happen then I think the whole set of mascots should be pre-filtered by professional design experts. They should filter purely by technical aspects, not whether they like the individual ones or not. They can tell whether a mascot can be used in all the desired ways (printed in different sizes, color/bw, embroidery etc.) or not. If I remember correctly then the mentioned Libby figure was excluded due to such reasons but I'm not sure.

Bad feelings of many voters could be avoided if the mascots that would be popular but are not usable due to technical reasons, they wouldn't even take part in the competition.

So, I would follow this process:
- opening a new vote
- closing the candidation process
- filtering the candidates by design experts: Can this mascot be used for our purposes or not?
- publishing the passed mascots
- voting, where everybody has
* 3 likes
* 3 dislikes
* infinite number of veto votes

A veto needs a textual explanation like "Hey, this fox looks likes the Firefox logo", or "this logo is illegal in our country". Every vote and veto explanation should be available to everyone.

- when the voting period is over then the veto explanations should be evaluated by the community. This is needed because if there is a five-member village somewhere in the outback where the local laws say that a figure is illegal then we still may want to use it. This should be evaluated by the community.

From the list of mascots that were not banned by the design experts, nor based on the veto explanations, we should keep the most liked 12 of those ones that have no more than 10% dislikes.

Then, in the second round those 12 mascots could compete again, letting 2 likes and 2 dislikes for
every voter.

Finally, the one should win that has the most likes and has not too many dislikes.

Csongor

ps: I did not participate in the organizing of the first round at all. I just would like to have a widely accepted mascot for the community.:)