On 02/20/2016 03:47 AM, toki wrote:

On February 19, 2016 5:03:59 PM PST, Tim wrote:

Personally, I think you cannot have any font that has "everything" for  "everyone's" needs.
Three or four core fonts, and an extension similar to the one that optimizes LibO for Japanese, for
then 40 or so writing systems that LibO supports. Let the font junkies and  the grammatologists
install all of those extensions.
With Linux, I have the MS core fonts package installed, plus many more font names that I have used for a long time:
[not in any real order]
Linux Biolinum, Linux Libertine, Liberation, Arial, Garamond, DejaVu, Caslon, SourceSansPro, Times New Roman, Vegur, Century Schoolbook

I really thing we need to have a good/free unicode font that has many
of  the characters/glyphs that are available.
Unifont is libre and covers most of the Unicode 7.0 glyphs.
IMNSHO, its biggest flaw is its weight.
Its lack of slant and type options are also flaws.

I do not remember Unifont [by name] until I looked it up. I think I looked into it a number of years ago, or some other font like that. I do have Arial Unicode installed [I cannot remember how long I have had that font].

Here is the text from the Unifont web site [reformated for this email].

    The Standard Unifont TTF Download:
             unifont-8.0.01.ttf (12 Mbytes)
    Glyphs above the Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane:
             unifont_upper-8.0.01.ttf (1 Mbyte)
    Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane with CSUR PUA Glyphs:
            unifont_csur-8.0.01.ttf (12 Mbytes)
    Glyphs above the Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane with CSUR PUA Glyphs:
           unifont_upper_csur-8.0.01.ttf (1 Mbyte)

Did you install all four TTF files?

LibreOffice [14+ GB worth of TTF and OTF fonts].
I see two major issues with that many installed fonts:
* Windows takes forever and a day to start;
* Finding the right font is extremely difficult;

I have no idea how many fonts I have. My laptop claims an impossibly high figure.

I do not have the 14+ GB fonts installed. My collection is stored in a folder, on my Ubuntu 14.04LTS desktop 6 TB storage drives, that has most stored alpha-named folders or in folder named by style [i.e. handwriting, dingbat, or other descriptions] or by the actual font name.

For me, I do not know how many font names I have since most of them have several TTF/OTF files for the bold/italic/etc. styles.

I do wish LO can find a set of the best freely available fonts to
bundle  with LO's installations, but that is really easy to say and not easy to.
+1

In an ideal world, each L10N / i18n team would create an extension tbat installs the best libre
fonts, along with other useful tools for the language(s) they target.
EG: Isreal l10n extension would include fonts,  the Nikkud placement extension, along with Hebrew
dictionary, and grammar checker.

is being used for, or how long it has been since I last looked as
For most people, for most purposes, more then three font families is too many.
Within font families, more than 25 fonts is usually excessive.

Translating that into LibO:
* Unifont: font family #1: only one font is offered;
* Gentium: font family # 2: either 3 or 4 fonts are offered;
* Courier: font family #3: only be font is offered: This is a monotype font.

Those 6 fonts work for the majority of use-cases for Latin writing systems.

jonathon

A lot of my installed fonts on this laptop, are scripts/handwriting and fonts that are more decorative ones like Cast Iron, Black Chancery, Gallery, Broken Glass, Fanfold, Headhunter, and a lot of other names that I use for making signs and posters for a few not-for-profit groups and organizations.