Hi Italo,

Italo Vignoli wrote on 13-01-16 10:13:
Impress power users rely on the mode toolbar as one of the most
frequently accessed commands. In my opinion, hiding it by default is a
huge problem (I went back to LibreOffice 5.0 because of it).

It is not a toolbar, but the tab bar in View > Modes Tab Bar.
(I was confused by your intro, sorry)

We should at least have the toggle icon on by default,

The icon Display Mode is visible by default for me.
(With a clean user profile. If you changed anything in the tool bar in a
previous LibreOffice version, there is a good chance that stuff newly
introduced in 5.1 will not be shown).

although it is not the ideal solution as the reality is that you
activate the mode toolbar as your first action when editing a new

Unless you are a poweruser using the menu.

presentation (because you switch between Page and Slide Sorter very
frequently, as you compose your presentations using a mix of completely
new slides and slides from old presentations pasted in Slide Sorter view).

I have now reverted to LibreOffice 5.1, where I have activated the

5.1 ? I am confused by your explanation, sorry for that.
Both 5.1 and master have the icon Display Mode visible by default and
the Modes Tab Bar in the menu View.

toggle icon (which makes the issue acceptable, but does not solve the
issue of the missing Mode Bar). The icons to switch from Page to Slide
Sorter views are always visible both with PowerPoint and Keynote, and we
should avoid to introduce a "feature" that represents a HUGE step back
in term of usability.

I appreciate the new Display Mode icon in the Standard tool bar.
Maybe it could be improved by adding a tick "Show Modes Tab Bar" and/or
that it could be dragged off as floating toolbar (as is the case with
the grouped shapes on the Drawing tool bar.

I could imagine an interesting and shiny article meeting good attention.
People like feature articles.

Cheers,
Cor

--