Am Freitag, 13. März 2015, 23:15:16 schrieb Heiko Tietze:
On Friday 13 March 2015, 22:45:01 Björn Balazs wrote:
- Why isn't the dialogue part of the normal "Open File" dialogue (e.g.
invoked from there)? As a user I just want to open a file, then define
where it is - and remote is rather about the "where" than the "what"...
(same is true for "save")

Of course it would be nice to have some kind of favorite,  but that's not an
easy hack. And dialogs are very different for all supported OS. It might be
an option to add controls like a dropdown but devs cannot override the
defaults of the dialog.

Features/Req: "Own dialog since integration into standard dialog is possible
but very limited"

Fair enough :) - on the long run, we should though try to merge these two
dialogues. This probably won't work as an easy hack, but for the users I think
it would be much better to be able to choose from the actual File Save / Open
dialogue, instead of doing this beforehand.

- Why didn't you split up the selection of the type and the configuration
into two steps? Personally I think these dialogues that depend on / change
with a pre-selected element should be avoided.

We have two dialogs, one for the actual files with the function to load or
to save depending on how it was opened, and another where you configure the
service. Such a service can be WebDAV, for instance, or Google Drive.
Depending on this type you have to enter more or less specifications. Plus,
you have to give the child a name, like WebDAV@UserPrompt to make more than
one service on a certain type possible. This type:label identification is
prompted at the files dialog. Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

Well I would have users choose the type of service (WebDAV / ownCloud / ...)
beforehand and then in a next step show the configuration. If you do not do it
this way - as configuration for different services is differently complex -
either the size of the dialogue changes depending on the selected service or
there will be lots of white space (e.g. in Google Drive configuration).

As this is about configuring (aka rarely used) I think the additional click
required would overall be beneficial. Next to benefits in dialogue design,
splitting steps would help users to concentrate on their actual task (1.
select target, 2. configure it).

Just my 2 cent.

Björn