[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] New templates contest
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] New templates contest
- From: Milan Bouchet-Valat <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:40:57 +0100
- To: Sophie <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Le lundi 22 décembre 2014 à 15:36 +0100, Sophie a écrit :
> Le 22/12/2014 15:27, Milan Bouchet-Valat a écrit :> Le lundi 22 décembre
> 2014 à 15:13 +0100, Sophie a écrit :
> >> Hi,
> >> Le 22/12/2014 15:08, Jean-Francois Nifenecker a écrit :
> >>> Hello Sophie,
> >>> Le 22/12/2014 14:37, Sophie a écrit :
> >>>> Yes and if you read the announcement or the discussions on the lists,
> >>>> you have noticed that it's a contest for en_US templates only.
> >>> The "risk" being that those templates come to non-en_US users.
> >> That would be their choice.
> > I don't understand what's so country-specific in a template. AFAIK MS
> > Office does not ship different templates in the US and in Europe. Cannot
> > templates be made mostly country-neutral if contributors are asked to
> > avoid adding too nationally-rooted details?
> It depends on the category of templates. For Writer for example, a
> simple letter presents a lot of differences depending on the country
> (it's even not language specific). The page format will be different,
> the date, margins, location of the addresses, ect...
Ah, OK. This may need some careful work by localization teams.
But for more informal documents, offering a few good-looking templates
is not a problem.
> > Of course text must be translated (if present), but this can be done
> > like GUI labels.
> > If the contest is only for en_US, then most locales won't get any
> > templates at all, which is worse than getting an English template. So
> > better start with the idea that templates will have to be translated.
> Yes. The time frame for 4.4.0 is too short but we don't want to kill the
> enthusiasm of the Design team, so let's have the first contest for en_US
> and the localization team will then work on their internationalization.
Right. But to motivate people outside of the US, better say loudly that
templates will eventually be translated.
> Kind regards
> Sophie Gautier email@example.com
> Co-founder - Release coordinator
> The Document Foundation
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
|Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] New templates contest||Jean-Francois Nifenecker <email@example.com>|
|Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] New templates contest||Sophie <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] New templates contest
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] New templates contest
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] New templates contest
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] New templates contest