Another topic we've touched on at the last IRC chat [1] is our project
workflow. We've decided that it'd be better if each project had a lead
designer, who would take it up to the tentative design phase in cooperation
with the dev who would later work on the project's implementation. The
process would go as follows:
1) A designer and a dev agree to work on a project and make a whiteboard
[2] for it, where everything relevant to the project is published or linked
to. (If a dev wants to work on a project, he contacts the design ML and
hopefully an interested designer shows up. I'm not sure what the best place
for designers to find devs is -- we can discuss that here.)
2) The designer and the dev research what they'll be working on, adding all
useful resources to a "Resources" section on the whiteboard.
3) The designer and the dev formulate a goal and specify the scope of the
project with the help of the design team experts [3]. They also create a
tentative schedule and/or roadmap if possible.
4) The designer writes about the project on the design mailing list,
opening it up to feedback and optionally asking for help.
5) The designer takes the project up to tentative design level, making
sketches, documenting his reasoning, tweaking details and whatever else is
needed along the way. The designer communicates with the dev behind the
project and the design team experts while working on the project.
6) Once the tentative design is done, the designer should again send a
message to the design mailing list and ask for feedback.

Then comes the more broadly applicable decision-making workflow, which I
wrote about in the thread "Our decision-making workflow" [4].

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Meetings/2014-06-29
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards
[3] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Team
[4]