On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 3:34 AM, Charles-H. Schulz
<charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
On 9 avril 2014 01:51:19 CEST, Robinson Tryon <bishop.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
[ ... printing up swag for conference booths and outreach in the US...]

Thanks for all this! 2 comments from my side. I believe that brochures are not really important.
People don't read them and throw them away. So we should not divert the little resources we have
on them especially for corporate brochures as companies do not get convinved with them. Same goes
for pens. All this is swag, not marketing per se but people think one amounts to the other. Now I
am not saying pens are a bad idea: they are only a small detail.

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree that we shouldn't focus just on swag, but I think that
physical items we can give away can be a very effective part of our
overall approach to outreach and marketing. When we're talking at
conferences or staffing a booth for LibreOffice, having some desirable
items like pens and stickers available can encourage people to come
talk to us, and can be a good way for us to have a ripple effect when
we give someone who runs a LUG or someone who is a teacher a few
stickers or a couple pamphlets.

For example, when I was at LibrePlanet I gave out a lot of stickers to
people who wanted to put them on their laptops -- many of whom proudly
pasted them on immediately. Having the sticker on their laptop is good
for us, but I think that the positive relationship that we created by
giving them an "I (heart) LibreOffice" sticker is even more important
to the overall success of the LibreOffice brand and visibility of the
product to non-users.

Regarding corporate people, I met a few company founders/leaders when
I was at SCALE, and I desperately wanted to have something more than
stickers and a generic brochure to give to them, especially when they
expressed their admiration for us and our product. I now have business
cards I can give them, but from just a financial perspective, I think
that it would really be worth our while to have some strategy (whether
that's a brochure or website or whatever) to help us gain them as
sponsors.

The slogan ought to remain the same one we have. Let's not blur the message. :-)

Sorry, blurring what message?

My second comment is this: we need videos to demknstrate LibreOffice and we need web materials
such as buttons, banners for online use. We have a very little choice of them. I believe this
would help a lot in the US and elsewhere. I am happy to help if the design team or anyone else
woants to contribute.

* Online videos, badges, etc... sound like a great project to me.
We've listed a QA EasyHack to create a video 'Intro to QA'.

* Regarding buttons/banners, I just made some web badges for the
Document Liberation Project, and would love to see badges for TDF and
LibreOffice as well

Cheers,
--R