Hi Charles,

2014/1/19 Charles-H. Schulz <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>

Hello Regina,

Le Sun, 19 Jan 2014 17:43:45 +0100,
Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de> a écrit :

Hi Mirek,

Mirek M. schrieb:
Hi Regina,

2014/1/19 Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>

Hi Mirek,

Mirek M. schrieb:

  Hi guys,
In order to be able to effectively design and shape the future of
LibreOffice modules, it is imperative that we define what these
modules are
for. Knowing the purpose of each module will help us focus on
doing one thing well and avoid counterproductive feature creep.

Since, out of all the modules, Impress's purpose might be one of
the clearest, let's start with it.

My rough draft:
The purpose of Impress is "to make it simple and quick to craft a
slide show to perfectly complement a speech."
Please comment on this.

  "complement a speech" is not all. There exists other popular
usages of
impress. For example:
(1) Self-repeating (product-) information, for example in shop
window, waiting room, or station.
(2) Interactive learning arrangement
(3) Present pictures from travel or festivals to friends or
parishioners (4) Background for memorial or meditation
(5) Lecture notes for revision

Yes, but it's important design practice to focus on doing one thing
excellently, not on doing several things in a mediocre way.
That doesn't mean Impress can't or shouldn't be used for other
things, but that it should be optimized to do one thing well.
Alternative use-cases can be covered unintentionally, by
extensions, or by splitting the module into two.

I disagree here. Look at the questions about impress in mailing lists
and forums. For example, why do you think users ask about a sound
continuing over the whole slide show? Surely not for "complement a
speech", but likely for purpose (3).

I would not keep the question on design-list, but bring it to
discuss-list too.

I disagree in part here. It's true that the question would be better
off asked  to the marketing list (why the discuss list? :-)  )

The purpose of this thread is to focus our design.
The marketing message can be the same, but doesn't have to be, which is why
this thread is in the design mailing list only.

But Mirek is not trying to find the exact ratio of use for Impress.
He's trying to find a mission statement for Impress. Everything you
quote as use cases for Impress are real; but they are just as real if
you consider Apple Keynote or MS Powerpoint.

Yet none of the messaging (marketing + design + distribution) around
these two well identified software products are remotely referring to
these types of use, despite the vendors backing them knowing fully well
about these patterns.

It would confuse our uses imho if we were to advertise Impress as a
great support for image visualization for instance, no matter how true
it is.

Just my two cents,

--
Charles-H. Schulz