Hi Cor, Michel,

Cor Nouws píše v Ne 27. 10. 2013 v 18:00 +0100:

I propose to mix those 2 points :
  - revert the code of the new start center : LO4.2 should keep the
LO4.1 start center
- start a new process to design a new new start center :
[...]

The biggest problem IMO at the moment is the appearance. It's off-puting.

I am late to the party it seems, but I'd really like to address this,
because I believe this is misunderstanding we should fix :-)

If that cannot be fixed in time I would say: your step 1.

The thing is that now, thanks to the great Krisztian's work, the start
center is just an .ui file that _anyone_ can edit in glade to make it
nicer.  I'd really like people here to understand that we have made a
huge effort in the code base (and it is still continuing until we erase
the last .src, and convert it to .ui) so that it is much easier for
anybody in the design team to go, and just fix anything that looks ugly
or does not behave as it should.  Please, PLEASE, start using this power
- just grab an .ui file and start playing.

In the case of the start center, there is a bit of additional
development work necessary to make it look really beautiful [eg. to get
the green background for the buttons for example]; but if anybody here
provided me with .ui that has the buttons at the right places, with the
right descriptions etc. according to the Mateusz's friend's design, I
could focus on that harder pieces only, and I could even have time for
additional stuff like single click to open the document etc.

The file in question is here:

sfx2/uiconfig/ui/startcenter.ui

[http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/sfx2/uiconfig/ui/startcenter.ui]

Glade (if you are not on Linux - where you most probably have it
already) is here:

https://glade.gnome.org/

BTW - you do not have to download the file from the repository, you can
just edit the startcenter.ui in your installation of the daily build,
restart LibreOffice, and see your results immediately.  No iteration
through developers necessary - you have the power to make it behaving
perfectly, and send me the resulting .ui for integration :-)

All the best,
Kendy