Since I won't be able to make it to chat, I'll make a few comments here.
Mateusz's design really looks like the best option at this point for a few
reasons:

First of all, it looks better. While Mirek's is more likely to integrate
into whatever desktop environment it opens in, I don't think that's really
that big of a priority for a welcome screen, if at all. Part of the job of a
welcome screen is to present the software in a way that is attractive (but
not such that it gets in the way), and maybe not just another system
component, or generic program. In short, showing that the software is
Libreoffice, and giving a good first impression. I think Mateusz's design
does that best.

Second, and probably most importantly, Mateusz's design simply seems more
usable. The sidebar is really what makes it work. There's enough room for
icons /and/ text for each element of Libreoffice, and a wider clicking area
for each (This is especially important as many new computers come with
touchscreens, which, while it would be ridiculous to design the entire
document editor with that in mind, it would be good for people who use
touchscreens to be able to do basic things like open a recent document or
start a new document easily.) There's also less worry about having enough
horizontal area on a screen.

Thirdly, (and not really importantly--this is a really small point) I like
Mateusz's design because it has a sidebar, and I think that we should
implement the sidebar as a default part of the user interface, because it
makes better use of space, is more usable, and makes hidden features more
accessible. Having both would be a nice little consistency that would be
cool to have.

To be fair, I like Mirek's welcome text for when no documents have been
opened. Except open up should just be open. And I think Mateusz's design
constantly displaying "Welcome" at the bottom is pretty awkward. It's out of
the way enough to not be noticed by most users, and doesn't really say
anything helpful or important. And there should be a place in the sidebar to
create a formula.

Anyway, that's my not very important opinion.

Daniel