On 2013-09-10 18:12, Daniel Hulse wrote:
Hi,
I posted my current Libreoffice setup to Google+ and people seemed to like
it, so I decided to talk about it some here.
I am finding the sidebar to be very usable, and so I thought it would be a
good idea to see what implementing it would have on the rest of the
interface. Right of the bat, the formatting toolbar becomes redundant as all
of those buttons are already in the sidebar. So I removed the formatting
toolbar. Then, because the sidebar includes the navigator, gallery, and
styles and formatting toolboxes in them, I removed those buttons from the
standard toolbar.

>From there, I decided it would be good to remove some of the bloat from the
standard toolbar. Some of this is kind of subjective, but I stand by my
choices anyway:
*First off, cut/copy/paste is not needed in the standard toolbar, because
those actions are almost always dependent on some location in the
document--people usually use the right click to perform those actions in any
application.
*Zoom was removed since there is already an ability to zoom in the
lower-right corner.
*Save As, Page preview, and the spelling and grammar buttons were removed
not necessarily because I think the functionality is not important, but
because they don't merit their own icons. If anything, they should be merged
with the save, print, and autospellcheck buttons. (that, or the
autospellcheck icon should be moved to the status bar at the bottom.)
*Hyperlink, table, show draw functions, and edit file were removed because I
didn't see them being used very often, especially when table is an entire
menu to itself.
* I also moved the icons such that after open it goes save, exporting as
pdf, print, email. This was done because saving and exporting, exporting and
printing, and printing and emailing are each conceptually similar. In short,
the order felt more natural.

Anyway, without too much more explanation, here's a screenshot of what was
achieved, in writer, impress, calc, and draw: http://imgur.com/a/XyN4O
<http://imgur.com/a/XyN4O>
(In my Google+ post, I used the flat icon set, but it wasn't working
properly, so instead I used the default galaxy set)

Here are some things I think were achieved:
*'back' and 'forward' are closer to the left side where most people are used
to them being in web browsers, file managers, and the like.
*A more natural order of icons
*more minimalism -- the long toolbar of icons is less daunting than it was
before, doesn't have to hide icons when viewed on lower-resolution monitors,
and there is a space for people to add their own toolbars without making
another row.

Thoughts?
Hi Daniel.
For me a design with a side bar should be optional to suit different peoples tastes or work flows. I don't run applications full screen and want application frames (windows) to be as narrow as possible to be able to view multiple applications at once. I am most frequently writing about a spread sheet, diagram or document that I have open next to the document I am writing and the extra width of the side bar would be a hindrance.
Steve