On 06/22/2013 06:18 PM, Toki Kantoor wrote:
On 06/22/2013 04:58 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

What type of features and options are really needed, or
People replaced their desktop with a laptop.  Now they are replacing
their laptop with a tablet.  So whatever you used to do on a desktop, or
laptop, will be done on a tablet.

I hear many kids telling their parents that all the need is a tablet for school now - college.

Well have you ever tried typing a long paper with foot notes and graphics on a tablet, even the high end ones? I do not know how someone can thing about doing the standard 10 finger typing, like you are taught to do on a desktop/laptop, on a tablet 7,9,or 10 inch ones.

I know that people use to buy the 10 inch screen netbooks/notebook style laptops and they did not like using the small screen and small keyboard for extended typing. I do not like to do a lot of typing on my laptop's keyboard.

Then you need to use the more powerful document editors, like LO, for your college papers.

After getting 3 degrees, I would never use a tablet as my only device. You need the power and storage of a laptop or desktop to do the work.

Sure, the high end tablets, and now the Win8 tablets, have a market, but I would not say that everything I want to do can be done on a tablet. Just the USB input/output devices are not going to be accessible on most tablets. Of course I have 5 TB [1,2,2] internal to my desktop and 4TB external [USB drives] that I use. No tablet will have the type of storage internal to it, for the foreseeable future.

So do not think a tablet will replace my desktops or laptops. I have not seen any advertised that will.

But what editing options will you need?
The biggest point of failure of EuroOffice, is that it makes no
provision for styles. To me, that is a failure on a par with the mean
time of 15 seconds from starting MSO, to seeing the Blue Screen of Death.

15 seconds startup for MSO??? Last time I used it it took 30 to 60 seconds, at least, to load MSO to the point where I could start typing or editing. That was on a mid-range CPU speed system.

This is a little confusing to me. You mention LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice for Android, but as
far as I know there is no Apache OpenOffice for Android,
The description matches AndrOffice, which is a port of Apache OpenOffice
to Android.

jonathon

Yes, I downloaded and tried, failed that is, that port of AOO. LO is working on a port to Android, which is still in early Alpha stage. So my original post was stating some things I wanted to mentioned that LO for Android should learn from the problems I had with the AOO for Android port. The big one was it would not allow me to do anything even after 5 minutes of waiting.