This is a note to all of the regular contributors to this list.

I was wondering if we could just do a quick defining of the "Design" list and its purposes. The reason I ask this is that I find that often people will post more UX related questions that would be better debated on that list.

I see the "Design" list as really being a list where LibreOfice design members are asked questions or asked to help out with designing icons, logo design, VI requests, designing of any parts of the LibreOffice suite elements ... essentially all that pertains to designing objects using a paint/vector programme. This would also include discussions re: needs of the marketing people.

The UX-design list, I see more a list where the discussion of extending or modifying the actual look and feel of LibreOffice and not the actual re-drawing or drawing of new elements using a paintingg/vector programme. The list is more concerned with discussions and examples of these new modification to the programme which would lead to some coding changes.

I am not sure if I have described the differences in these two lists enough for people to understand ... feel free to add your interpretation.

If we could ask people to respect these two differences, then we would then have a clear difference of the type of work expected on these lists and perhaps we could then advertise the fact that on the design list we are really looking for people who are merely interested in the drawing aspect of design and not that of the true "design" aspect of the distro. We may then be able to be more focused on our contributions on these two lists?

I find that we sometimes are in the middle of getting some good contribution done on this list when another post arrives and distracts enough to lessen the previous contribution and leads to less focus of the items.

I don't know about the other UX-designers, but it looks like the UX-members need to constantly watch the "design" list as well as the "UX" list just in case any UX questions are asked on the design list. We (on the design list) could do more moderation and ask that any posting of UX-related items should be re-posted on the correct UX list rather than allow it to be taken up on the design list. And, the UX members could do the same thing on the UX list.

Would this sound reasonable to the UX team and the design team?

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré