Re: [libreoffice-design] Experimental new LibreOffice UI

Hi;

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Michel Renon <michel.renon@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Le 06/04/2013 01:30, Keith Curtis a écrit :
>
>> Hi all;
>>
>> I've written a proposal for a new experimental UI for LibreOffice Writer:
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:KeithCu
>

> That proposal is light years away from being a UX design proposal. Really.

The purpose of that proposal is something different.

>> In a few weeks Matúš Kukan will have an empty Python prototype ready
>> to be filled in.
>

> Please realize that the developer must have infinitely more informations
> before starting any line of code.

That is incorrect. It will just be left up to people filling in the
toolbar to make more guesses about how it should work. It will also
take longer, more mistakes will be made, etc.

>> After that, it becomes a question of what it should look like. The
>> bitmap I included on the wiki page was just some pretty example I dug
>> up on the web, but I could imagine others, including perhaps one that
>> is on the top rather than the side. Anything you guys can draw could
>> be mostly implemented in a few months (assuming one person full-time)
>> in Python. No one is signed up to hack on that yet, Matúš is just
>> making an empty toolbar, but it needs a bitmap first anyway.
>

> You use term "look like", "bitmap", "draw" just as if you were a graphic
> designer.
> But UX design is NOT drawing or painting, it's about sketching, creating
> mockups and prototypes.
>
> I suggest you to use a real sketching tool : pencil 2.X
> http://pencil.evolus.vn/
>
> And then :
> - define some use cases
> - for each use case, create sketches with pencil that describe your proposal
> ; sketches must be as precise as possible
> - take time and then enhance, simplify... iterate over your proposal
> - when you have something stable, publish and ask feed-back
> - you'll need to iterate again and again before having a rela proposal

I am not a UX person. I emailed this alias because I want to know if
you have something already, or if there are people who want to work on
it, and to point out that anything you make could be implemented in a
few months, and to point out that in a few weeks, an empty prototype
will be ready.

-Keith