Re: [libreoffice-design] Experimental new LibreOffice UI

Hi Astron;

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Stefan Knorr <heinzlesspam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 13:06 -0700, Keith Curtis wrote:
>> > Also note that what Paulo has provided is basically a _single_ mockup of
>> > a single component, so I somewhat doubt that it is straightforward to
>> > implement.
>>
>> I think starting with Writer is a good way to go. Once people "like"
>> the UI, then it can be extended to the other apps.
>
> This is not about whether Writer is a good place to start. This is about
> the fact that Paulo made a single mockup. He has more than likely
> forgotten many things and he has not even had the chance to visualise so
> many other things. Also keep in mind that this is not a very functional
> mockup, just a visually appealing one, so WYS is not WYG. (The template
> manager is a good example for this too, I think [1].)

I agree his bitmap isn't the most useful starting point for hacking a
radical UI: a bitmap is not a specification, there are unanswered
questions about it, it doesn't appear to have input from other people,
etc. I'm here to see if there is a better bitmap, or a better
anything.

The amount of work to implement has little to do with the completeness
of the specification. Just about anything you draw can be mostly built
in a few months full-time. The benefit is that if there is a more
thought-out starting point, then the coding will evolve to the happy
endpoint faster. That template manager spec has a lot more
information. Even something like that would be better.

-Keith