Hi all

Here is a very pretty short mail to say I updated the tentative design,
following your comments as much as possible (you will find answer to
each of your notes below if I didn't forget one) :

<Hillar> I think you should integrate Automatic+Old+New into one row. It
will take less space.
        I didn't because Automatic row will (in the future as you know)
probably include gradients etc. More of that, I agree with Mirek saying
Old/New should be at the bottom as they are not clikable.

<Issa> New should be adjacent to Old to compare colors with slight
differences.
        Done

<Mirek> I would put the Old and New indicators in another place. As they
aren't click-able, it doesn't make sense to put them in the place that's
most accessible for a mouse -- they only increase the distance the mouse
has to travel to reach a clickable target. (In my proposal, these
indicators were shown below the picker, with only the old color shown
first and then the new color superposed on it as one hovered over it.)
        Done

<Issa> New should be on the left and Old on the right.
        I don't really see why (for me, history (old) is on the left, future
(new) on the right) but it's done;

<Issa> Since it is a pop-over and not a dialog the custom colors should
be applied immediately upon changing the current color. The window can
be closed when the focus moves away or using an ok button
<Mirek> As Issa said, "Since [...] button." An apply button would be
unnecessary in this case. (Actually, it would be confusing, as this
button would do nothing.)
        Done with a OK button. I precised in the explanation on the mockup that
clicking "OK" or loosing focus just close the popover, as the color is
applied as soon as it's defined

<Issa> The back and check-mark icons aren't consistent with the desktop
UI. The back icon should be replaced with an icon denoting theme color
and the check-mark icon should be replaced with an apply button.
        Done. I don't know if it's possible, but ideally, the 8 external colors
in this theme icon should be the sames as the 8 colors of the current
theme (what I did there). For the color in the middle, I took a grey color.

<Mirek> If we agree to have a gear button, it should really be a menu.
I'm not 100% sure that we need it for the first implementation, though.
<Issa> The theme creator dialog should be replaced with a drop down menu
for changing themes, possibly next to the theme colors label.
        I'm not sur about that : You do not change your theme so often, The
popover is a fast access tool. More of that, seeing the M$ theme creator
window [2], this could take a lot of place. Not sure it's a good idea
having such a big popover;

<Issa> The gray scale colors should be vertical and on the left of the
palette for consistency.
        Done (for palette and theme);

<Mirek> Could you try adding two columns for the gray, just to see what
it looked like?
        Done, in a separeted file.

<Mirek> Also, it would be good if the "Palette" section of the pop-over
was designed to be able to carry other palettes than the default. Thus,
the section wouldn't have a separate area for grays, as few palettes
separate their grays like this.
        I put the grey bar on the left. I don't really think why palette
couldn't be tweaked, but I'm not sure this would be useful : for me
palette is there to present almost every color existing. if you need
personalized colors, the theme colors are there. As I answers to Issa
concerns, for the palette itself should be fixed (I mean, not easily
changeable)

<Mirek> You mention a problem with height -- make sure the pop-over is
scrollable if the screen can't show all of it.
        With this new design, the popover is a lot less hight. But I precised
in the explanation it should of course be scrollable if it doesn't fit
in the screen.

<Issa> Automatic should also be available in custom colors, maybe to the
left of the hex code.
<Mirek> "Automatic" was visually separate for a reason -- the top
toolbar might later need to carry gradients, patterns, etc. as well, as
in Hillar's proposal. (As "Automatic" is not always a solid color, it
doesn't belong in the "Solid color" category.)
        I put it at the top, the same place gradients etc will be in the
future, and put a note about that in the mockup

<Mirek> Please include a label of the color for the colorblind.
        Almost done. I didn't included the label for RGB and HSL, because I
really don't see how we could decide the name of colors that have so few
diffenrences between them (except RGB of course, which is already at the
top, or we would have 300 red, 300 blue etc etc).

<Mirek> Why did you remove the text box for changing the HSL/RGB values?
        That's a very good question ! simple mistake :-D

<Mirek> The panels of the pop-over now have variable height -- could you
provide information about the animation needed to make switching panels
a smooth experience?
        Done

<Issa> The colors beneath the basic ones should be even to clear
confusion about the gap between the third and fourth rows (to show that
the third isn't the middle color).
        I don't really understand what you means there. Should the separation
between the first line and derivates be bigger ?

The mockups are on the wiki. [1]

About Issa's concerns:

-Wouldn't using square tiles be more consistent and natural with the
desktop UI ?
        I don't know, the old theme is very square, for sure, but newly
introduced features (header/footer note etc) are not really. Personally,
I would keep rounded squares. (More of that, the Flat icon set, even if
not default, is designed rounded, as it follows Gnome design)

-Wouldn't it be better if we use a color map/square for the HSL instead
of the wheel since it's already implemented and prettier in my opinion?
        Personally I prefer the wheel. Then I'm not sure what would be the good
choice.

- When using the standard colors as the default theme, what would appear
in the palette tab ?
        I think this shouldn't happen : the palette is there to present
majority of colors, the theme present colors that fit well together. The
default theme should be something else,that we will define. It have to
be pretty has lot of people (in M$ Office at least, since it's not
horrible) use the default one. But for me, the palette is fixed.

[1]
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color_Picker#Tentative_Design
[2]
http://office.Microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/customize-and-save-a-theme-in-powerpoint-2010-HA010338409.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA010338417