Re: [libreoffice-design] Writer background image - contest! :-)

2012/4/23 Jan Holesovsky <kendy@suse.cz>

> Hi Mirek, Astron, all,
>
> On 2012-04-20 at 09:16 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:
>
> > I agree that the rulers should look better.
> > Kendy -- would it be possible to change the look of the rulers?
>
> First of all - thank you for lots of good ideas. I am now going through
> them, to sort what is easy, and what is harder, but immediately I can
> answer, that changing any particular widget is +-easy.

One more idea -- could you change the font drop-down menu into an icon menu?
Reasoning:
a) we want to encourage style use, especially when it comes to fonts (if a
user wants to use several fonts in a document, he should be using styles)
b) the drop-down takes up too much space compared to how frequently it is
used
c) it'll help streamline the UI

> What makes the
> task of changing the entire chrome hard is that there is so many widget
> types - push buttons with many states (normal, pressed, hover, default),
> scrollbars (hover, pressed button, dragging the scroller), etc. etc.
>
> So - if you can propose a better looking ruler, that would be great,
> just please so far keep in mind that it should play well with the
> default Windows theme :-) - other than that, let's go for changing that!
> If you can create a proposal that would be applied to a screenshot of
> Writer, that would help a lot.

I'd suggest making the rulers adopt the document background, lose the
divider between the background and the rulers, lose the black square around
the tab insertion mode, and tone down the colors (black->gray). The result
might look something like this:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/4/45/Rulers.png