Le 2011-06-26 05:29, Jean Hollis Weber a écrit :
To summarise, two objective points:
* Some of the colours suggested in this thread should print just fine in
grayscale by Lulu's printers.

* If users print directly from the PDFs, the colours use up a lot more
expensive ink or toner than does gray whether printed in colour or b/w.

And one subjective point:
* Some users will find that the colours make the screenshots look very
unlike what they see, and that may detract from their usefulness in some
cases. This is an untested hypothesis, other than some observation.

Not sure about this. In in the educational field, there are very few screenshots done up in grayscale or B/W. If they are, it is mostly due to costs savings and little to do with impact on use. If this were the case, then most of the documentation from various software titles would be done up in grayscale. I think, to make this assertion, there would have to be a study on this.

AFAIK, no one's answered this question yet: what is the advantage to
users of having colour in the screenshots in the PDFs?

--Jean

Colour icons bring familiarity with the LibreOffice suite. Users work all day with colour menus. I would imagine that, if all of sudden, working on a LibreOffice documentation screen with B/W screenshots would be an experience that would leave most users wondering why colour was not used. In print, this is another matter, as most people will recognize the cost factor in the equation and that if a user wants colour print, then that user should be willing to offer up the extra purchase $$$$.

So, if the screenshots are done in colour, we should make sure that they are printed at the quality that we expect from a B/W or grayscale.

My personal opinion is that if we can get the screenshots done up in LibO greens (whichever of the greens 1-2-3 etc) for added market recognition in our documentation, and, if they print up well on personal printers and at Lulu's, without print degradation, then we should go for this.

--
Marc Paré
http://www.parEntreprise.com