Hi Ricardo, all,

On 3/7/2011 2:41 AM, RGB ES wrote:
Agree: I prefer no shadow at all, specially if it means more system
resourced used to no real usability gain.
Shadows make sense only when you need to visually separate between
stacked elements on a multi element UI like a desktop, but LibO UI is
*single* document. And even if multiple document UI is developed this
should be through a split screen/tabbed interface because it make no
sense to put all documents on a "desktop inside the desktop" like it
was on old staroffice 5.x.
And even if the reason is because "aesthetics", that's also arguable:
I always disable shadows on my kde box, even if I like other eye candy
effects a lot...
I think that a subtle gradient on the background, or even the
possibility to set up your own "walpaper" will be a lot better than
casting a shadow over a coloured "void".
Just my 2¢

Ricardo
Must be a subjective thing then.
Once you add that background-image though, you'll be mighty sorry you don't have a drop shadow to separate your document from that busy background image. Which would be a usability gain. And even if it doesn't there's that precious fleeting thing called User Experience.
I for one, love drop shadows on my documents, makes it easier to focus.

I'd propose having a drop shadow by default and having the option to turn it off, or turn it "flat" (like it is currently).
I know; it's easy to say, but hard to implement. Sorry.

Just out of curiosity, are the shadows going to have transparency/alpha?
Once people add background images, you wouldn't want to see the edge between where the bg-image picks up and the shadow drops off. And the idea of coloured drop shadows truly turns my stomach, it's too unprofessional?

On a Design note, while I'm glad we've proposed blurred border on all four sides (because nothing is worse and less-realistic than a default right+bottom dark blurred drop shadow),
...the apps use top-lighting.
So the bottom border should be darker than the left,top and right borders. Any gradient on the back should be lighter at the top and no other direction. The "size" of the blur should be indicative of how far you want the user to perceive the "piece of paper" is from the "background" it is hovering above.
Right now the blurred border is too dark to be that wide;

The larger the blur-radius > the further the background > the more diffuse the shadow/lighting becomes > the "paler" the shadow should be.

And the shadow should scale with the zoom-level, when have you ever seen a thumbnail-size paper cast shadow twice its size in all four directions?
At a football stadium, I'm guessing =)
That will conveniently address the "proximity-to-neighbouring-pages-issue" too maybe?

I'll actually chip in a mock-up in the next few days if time allows.
Maybe the Motif-Design task can tie into this and become the subtle default bg-image?

-Nik