RGB ES schrieb:

 I can see a problem on this discussion: a sans serif "i" should not
have, ehr, serifs...

True, but ligatures per se are not serifs. If they look like a serif then
there's something wrong.
I asked a friend of mine who studies design to have a look at that issue,
and she told me that many sans serif fonts do indeed have ffi ligatures,
just as Bernhard said. She also had another idea, which I'll also give a
try:
http://tinyurl.com/6x7fyg7

Only on serif fonts it is ok to link the f and the i (and to make the
f "grab" the dot from the i), but not on sans serif or grotesque
fonts.

I don't think that's correct. Ligatures are just a way to make the text
look more even and to avoid tiny gaps and collisions. Have a look at the
original logo: the "i" is shifted to the right (it has a larger distance
from the second f than the first two f's). This creates an ugly white gap in
between the f and the i. To avoid that, one shifts the i to the left.
Without ligature (which just means: changing individual letters) both the
dot on the i as well as the bar on the f collide with the other letter.
Thus, one needs ligatures. (Sorry if I'm repeating stuff you already said,
Bernhard. You're right with what you say.)

@Bernhard: Do you mean the bow on the first f should also point towards the
middle of the i? Or just bend exactly the same way the second f does?
I raised the dot because I thought it looked better (I didn't think much
about that, to be honest). I guess I wanted to avoid bending the f bow too
much - if you leave the dot where it was and still want the f bow to point
towards it, you have to bend it very strongly which doesn't look good.
Therefore I centerd it on the line which is also the baseline of the first
f's bow tip (see the detail images).

I'll give above said things a try later and reply again when I'm done.

Greetings,
Joey