Hi Marc, Paulo, all

I'm stepping in here and merge three topics I want to post my comments for nearly a week now...

With the tag [approval request] I want threads to be marked where the entire design team should vote for some artwork to become official.

First topic: collecting design proposals in a dedicated area of the respective wiki pages

Marc Paré schrieb:
I have put Paulo's banner proposals on the Design wiki page (proposals)
section so that they would not get lost in the threads.

Thanks a lot!

Let me know if I should have put them at some other location.

No - not at the moment.

Later on we could have a more distinct area for proposals and ideas, but for the moment it's the right place IMHO.

2nd topic: Approval of Paulo's skyscraper banner

I would ask you to approve the skyscraper (160x600px) vertical banner as "official" design element to be used on external websites:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice-The-Challenge-Banner-Paulo-v2-dark.png

This banner is perfect in my eyes:

It is distinct from our branding (still don't know if can't create design following our branding, but showing clearly that the artwork doesn't want to pretend to be on a TDF site, but link to us), but keeps (even in the dark theme) the clear, friendly and open language of our branding.
It contains elements dedicated to this special action item.
Even on the dark theme the main tone is a lighter grey.
The very distinct font in the middle part contrasts very well with the bold characters of the upper and lower part.

Several people already posted their positive opinion on this proposal, so I ask all of you to vote by "+1" or "-1" if you want to present this vertical banner as part of the (still to be created) "official design/marketing material repository".

My vote is: +1

Third topic: The 300x250px rectangle banners

Even if several team members like these banners too, I personally think that they might look even better, if they could be modified a bit. That's the reason why I don't ask for approval for these banners too.

Looking at the motif discussion (I support it - even if I didn't have the time to comment by now), I would like to see the graphic at the donate button to be discussed in this thread: It combines known elements (triangles, colors) to a new distinct element. As this is the only colored element on the banner, my feeling is, that it leads too far away from our present branding. If we would integrate it as central branding element, it would fit very well here... But at the moment I could imagine one of our present elements better.

And another thought: In comparison to the skyscraper banner the wording is focused on "The Challenge" in the middle, while the logo above has a bolder font than the text below. This leads (in my personal opinion - not at all the absolute truth) to some kind of imbalance with the more heavy parts at the top. If they would be taken as title, this would be okay, but without more text below (building a good foundation just be the larger area filled) I don't feel totally comfortable.

Perhaps I would feel better, if the areas would be switched (like on the skyscraper?) - I don't know.

But I wanted to let you know - as well as the fact, that these comments are part of my high regard for your skills. I like the buttons very well as they are (even if I like the skyscraper a bit more ;-)) and would not veto if some other team member wanted to get them approved as official design right now.

Best regards

Bernhard

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/FoundationChallenge#Proposals