Hi Christoph, all,

Christoph Noack schrieb:
Hi all!

Am Sonntag, den 09.01.2011, 00:26 +0100 schrieb Bernhard Dippold:
(who starts working on the Draw document icon)

If anybody else would try his/her skills on the Master Doc (just put
the
symbols of four Writer icons or the full icons together on the main
application icon), this would already help a lot!

I missed that, so there is plenty of opportunity to others ... the
Master Doc is also pretty important, I think.

I tried to "play around" with the Base icon during the last two days,
but it is pretty difficult. I fell back to the original "stack" idea,
since it is rather hard to include all the database relations and the
objects and keeping a unique and easy-to-identify look.

As I thought you would work on the Impress icons, I too had a look at Base, but my results are quite similar: It becomes too detailed, if we include too much information.

The present state of my work (uploaded to the wiki [1]) contains a bold lined Base icon, comparable to Writer.

In-between there was another version with a form and a report added to the symbol - while the form might be understandable (at least I think so), the report doesn't work at all.

But if you want to have a look (or use it as resource for additional work), I uploaded it too [2].

[...]

Now, I'm curious how you perceive the "background" idea for the 128px
icon. I've added it to get a more or less harmonic style ... considering
Writer and Calc. Unfortunately, the icons start to differ given their
level of detail (per size).

I had similar thoughts about the "0" and "1" as representing the content of a database. But I turned away, because the users will not think about this kind of content: The recordsets they store in a database are mainly texts or numbers - related one to another in different ways.

The binary representation is rather something for people deeply involved in computer structure, perhaps source code...

Comments appreciated, of course!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3bH3699NZy4_amlco6XwzQ?feat=directlink

[1]: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice_Initial_Icons_Bernhard_draft_0-1.svg

[2]: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Initial_Base_Idea_Bernhard.svg

PS: Christoph, would you mind licensing your work under the triple license in the wiki (CC-by-sa, LGPL and MPL)?
I had to stick to CC-by-sa because my work is based on yours.
For easier inclusion of the resulting images it might be worth while to license all the steps to this result in a license that allows inclusion of the work directly in LibO without getting approval by every single contributor...