Hi Christoph, Bernhard,

I still am having problems with .svg program so I can't work on enlarging
the icons. :-(

Template icons:
I did however play around with the 16 px icons Christoph uploaded.  The
changes to the template icons are quite nice; the "binder" graphics (I am
not sure if the word "binder" translates to other cultures, I essentially
mean a bound notebook) makes the icons quite unique looking.  On a pixel by
pixel basis if you get rid of the 2 light gray pixels that are in between
each dark pixel that makes up the "binder" the icon really cleans up nicely.

Writer icon:
I also tried my hand at adding a "picture" to the Writer icon as can be seen
in Christoph's original posted icons, and it could look good.  Something at
the 16 px scale doesn't quite look correct about it but I can't currently
figure out what I don't like.

I uploaded a file with the two previously mentioned changes.  I also played
around with the other icons but you can ignore those changes (I don't like
them at all):
http://picasaweb.google.com/JaronBaron/LibreOffice#5550335957628801266

On a side note, I like that the focus of the discussion has changed at least
for now to the 16 px icons... if we can express a concept in only 16 pixels
then we can certainly express it clearly at a larger scale.  By the way,
where is the "draw" icon?  Hopefully, if I can get Inkscape working on my
Mac I will try my hand at enlarging the icons.

Cheers,
Jaron