[Adding the accessibility mailing list, somebody on that list might have more insights]

On 10/10/2022 22.02, Caolán McNamara wrote:
Is there a set of guidelines as to the intent of high contrast within
documents?

Not sure I grasp the context of this question (s. below), but from a quick search: WCAG has a criterion 1.4.3 about contrast for (primarily web) documents:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/?tags=contrast#contrast-minimum

The "Understanding Success Criterion 1.4.3: Contrast (Minimum)" page has some more details on the intent, etc.:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/contrast-minimum.html

As far as I can see in impress/draw/shapes we ignore/force-highcontrast
text color, line color and fill colors, and there's a certain logic to
that. And in general in documents we use a high contrast text selection
mode. >
On the other hand in writer we do show the real text color and fill
color in the normal document content, but do the opposite for shapes
and for the content of frames. If we use the insert, table UI, then we
have forced colors in the preview of what the table will look like, but
the final inserted table then doesn't have forced colors.

Is that with any explicit high-contrast settings either in the desktop environment or OS (like a specific theme) or LibreOffice explicitly applied?

In a quick test of mine *without* having taken any explicit settings, it behaved like this for me (LO master as of 221d76260096b9e6b4c4479b1b89c95af8b05774, gtk3 with Adwaita theme and kf5 with Breeze theme):

Impress:

1) With the font color in character settings set to "Automatic" (the default), font color seems to be chosen automatically to provide contrast to the slide background ("Slide properties" -> "Background" -> "Color"), e.g. changing slide background from white to black makes the text be shown in white.

2) Character highlighting color doesn't seem to be taken into account, though. (Setting black highlighting color for text in a new presentation results in black text on black background.)

3) If any explicit color is set in the character settings, that one is used, regardless of the background, nothing is forced then (i.e. if slide background is set to black and font color is explicitly set to black, text is unreadable).

Other than Impress, in Writer, "Automatic" text color seems to take into account the character highlighting color and page background. (Changing the character highlighting color or page background to black results in white text, and character background takes precedence over page background, which seems reasonable.) Explicitly setting font color to black in addition results in black text on black on black background, nothing is automatically adapted.

In a quick test on Windows 10 (with an older LO master as of commit 349e3af0c5dd5ed495ed61aab526f63c16f0e215), enabling "Use high contrast" in the Windows settings results in unreadable text in Impress in a new presentation (both, font and background use the same dark color).