I have no idea who wrote what, so I'm not attributing anything to anybody:

Maybe all extensions that aren't tested

Who is going to do the testing?

It takes me at least 15 minutes to test an extension, if I know how it
is supposed to work, and have the appropriate locale installed.

If I don't know how the functionality provided by the extension is
supposed to work, testing can take hours.

A successful install of an extension does not mean that it works as
advertised.

with the latest four main releases should be hidden

Whilst not quite as true today, as it has been in the past, extensions
for LibreOffice do work in EuroOffice, Apache OpenOffice, and NeoOffice.
As such, an extension that doesn't work with LibO 5.x might still be
fully functional for EU or AOo.

Furthermore, there are use cases where the only viable solution is an
older of LibreOffice. (Typically, this has been when required
functionality has been removed from LibO.)

Thus, rather than hide the extension, have an "Obsolete" selection,
which displays only extensions that are not functional for the last four
LibO releases.

or (much better) removed from the site.

Some of those extensions are distributed under an open source license.
As such, it is possible for someone other than original developer to
update them --- if they know about them.

If they are not tested on newer LibreOffice versions the user is:
a) will be left on his own (no support from the extension developer and the project)

I won't say that support from developers is never available, but
"Clipart gallery of danger signs"
(http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/gallery-of-danger-signs)
is typical, in that no information about the developer is available to
those who are not logged in. (I'd log in, but the site claims my login
name doesn't exist.)

When information about a developer is available, it is as likely as not
to be akin the screenshot provided by the developer of CalcLink:
http://www.lauschkeconsulting.com/walkthrough.html.

b) will never find the extension, if he search for extensions that are
 compatible with one of the current LibreOffice versions.

For example, KMLOOo.
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/kmlooo.

jonathon