Hello Rogerio,

Le jeudi 19 mars 2015 à 23:01 -0300, Rogerio Luz Coelho a écrit :
Hello,

I am not a webdesigner, but I am a steady contributor to LibO for some
years now and a Portguese-Pt documentation translator and the postmaster of
the pt-br user's mailing lists, so bear with me ;)

I am having some problems for people to understand some information on the
main website:

1) The "Fresh" version appears on top, so people are getting confused to
what is the "expected" version to install. This is not a big problem when
versions become the X.X.3 (say 4.3.2) - useable by corporations, but until
then, up to X.X.2 the versions are termed "still unstable".

Our release policy is to constantly offer two stable branches, one
called Fresh, the other one called "Still". Both are STABLE, but are at
a different stage of their lifecycle. Quoting from the Fresh download
page: "LibreOffice Fresh is the stable version with the most recent
features. Users interested in taking advantage of our most innovative
features should download and use our fresh version."

Please check the information on the Still page as well.

We also have development versions listed. If we were to only propose
x.y.2 or .3 versions, who do you think would test the versions? :-)

Also, we went over this discussion a number of times, and we're not
changing our release policy.

We are getting many people in the users list complaining that this
information is hard to come by.

Maybe  it would be good to 1) get the right information (and not calling
one branch stable but not the other one 2) make the small text I quoted
more visible on the page ?

Also, branches are widely used elsewhere, so we're not doing something
unique.

2)  The Requirements up to 4.2.x are right but from there on they have
changed. The Pentium III and the AMD 32 bit processors (although hard to
come buy - but still installed in a lot of PC's in the third world ...
where LibO could make a huge difference) are not supported any more (as of
4.3.1). As are not supported the older OS X 10.7 (as of 4.4.1).

Ah, indeed. Thanks for catching this!

These of course are not Website problems, but the information is, to
facilitate the user to download the latest 4.2.x (32bit non SSE2 CPU's) or
the latest 4.3.x (OS X 10.7) the requirements should be re-done with help
from the devs.

Support (as in security and support in general) is no longer provided on
this, so we're not going to offer unsupported versions.

It should also be noted that these legacy versions should be PROTECTED from
exclusion of website / databases downloads FOREVER (for this legacy
compatibility reasons).

These legacy versions are listed somewhere but again, they are not
supported. Some of them contain dangerous unpatched flaws. So we're not
offering them even for compatibility reasons. On the other hand, our
Document Liberation project is providing more and better document
filters to increase compatibility so it can only improve with newer
versions.

Best,

--
Charles-H. Schulz