Hello,

Pedro wrote on 2014-04-02 12:20:

I think that Robinson's suggestion to make it a quite visible side bar while
the focus is on the download itself makes sense.

Still, I'm not a designer. That is why I suggested they should provide some
feedback.

if we have a concrete proposal, we can look at it. What I can tell is that since we have changed the timing of the donation request, we have received lots of positive feedback, people telling us - that despite the donation texts on the website before - they were not aware, and that it actually is a good idea to ask for donations while people do get the software. This is not different from what Wikipedia does when they run their campaigns - above the articles you find rather prominent text boxes asking for donations.

So, my personal take is that of course improving the page and maybe editing the design for sure can be done, I just wouldn't change the overall process - it has proven to be working. And no matter what you change, you will always find someone who has issues with that. From time to time, there are still people saying "I dislike the green" or "the name is stupid", so we can't make everyone happy. ;-) So far, the number of complaints is rather low, which tells me we have not been doing terribly wrong.

My perception is that people who have donated don't like to be imposed...
Maybe some sentence in the sense of "If you have already donated, please
disregard this. We appreciate your contribution,etc"

I wouldn't do so. On the opposite, many people are asking for options to have recurring donations, that's actually a demand, not by one, but by many (and we are looking into this). So telling them "If you donated once, please don't donate anymore" would turn that around.

To me, it's all about understanding and explaining the software is free of charge, can be used without any obligation, but at the same time tell people that TDF solely relies on donations - otherwise they won't know, from where should they?

People have a choice to not donate, to donate once, or to donate regularly. I think the current page has that explained quite well in balance, but if there's a concrete proposal, of course we can have a look at it - anything can be improved. :)

There are also questions about refund which I didn't even knew (until your
post) it was possible (it is only mentioned in the bitcoin section)
http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/23261/is-there-a-way-to-get-a-refund-of-my-donation/

People can always contact us and we find a solution. What we should try to avoid is to refund anyone who experiences a bug. Refunding costs time and money, and produces more accounting work. So, if someone really didn't know he doesn't have to donate, or accidentially donated twice or the like, we of course refund. I just don't want to open the door to refunding if people are dissatisfied with anything.

Imagine donors at Wikipedia would ask for a refund two months later, because they found a mistake in an article...

I believe there is always room for improvement ;)

I share your view here, and am happy to look at concrete proposals to what can be improved, of course.

Florian